Saturday, February 4, 2012

No Day But Today…

So I just revisited this blog recently and was a bit shocked to see that my last blog entry was almost exactly two years ago. Time flies!!

Shortly after my last entry I got pregnant and since having my son Luke, I have been juggling being a wife, a mom and working outside our home. It has been an awesome time though it has been really challenging as well. There is such a huge learning curve when you first have a baby, and by the time you have things more figured out your maternity leave is over and then you have to find a way to balance everything.

Even though writing for pleasure became one of the first things I dropped when life got really busy, I’ve been wanting to get back into it for a while. My friend Monica recently asked why I stopped blogging and encouraged me to restart this blog. So here I am. (Thanks Monica!)

It has been a rollercoaster of emotions in last few days.
Last week we held Luke’s baby dedication, and midway through the event got news that a Palawan friend, Simon Gill, had died very suddenly.
That evening we had a party to celebrate my parents’ 45th wedding anniversary. It was a lot of fun but we were of course all so saddened by the news of Simon’s passing, and were also concerned about my grandmother, Alice, who has been ill and who my mom flew to the US to visit the day after the party.
Then my brother Alex shared news of his engagement to his girlfriend Ria and we are all so ecstatic about this wonderful development.
But then hours later we heard from my mom that my grandmother was really not doing well and was in a lot of pain.
Yesterday she seemed to have improved a bit, so that was happy.
But in the afternoon I attended Simon’s funeral, which was of course very sad.
This morning the news from my grandmother is not great.
Up down up down up down.
It is exhausting!!

My sister reminded me of this bible passage, and a friend read this at Simon’s funeral. Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8

A Time for Everything
1There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
In thinking about life and how fragile it really is, I am reminded of the amazing musical Rent (which I saw on Broadway at least 4 times, and know all the words to). I love the song “No Day But Today.” We should all strive to live each day to the fullest. To live each day like it’s the last.

1 comment:

  1. I love that passage from the Bible too! So glad you're back to the bloggin world. Always good to have an outlet for out emotions :) And it
    s also nice to look back at memories with our children :D

    ReplyDelete